Wowsers! It’s been a month since I posted here! How on earth did that happen!? The sun came out, everything is greening up, and that means we’re fully into the farm-projects-kicked-up-a-notch-or-ten mode!
Quick health update: My eye is slowly healing, no thanks to my surgeon who has been nothing but an insensitive ass during my followup visits! The short version is that the day post-surgery when I began getting sharp pain in my eye and went back to see him, he opted to removed the contact lens that was protecting my eye from the sutures (I have never worn contacts and thought maybe it was aggravating things and told him so… which made him decide to take it out) not telling me that this would make things 100 times worse! Within 45 minutes I was in agony! It felt like a million paper cuts on my eye! Then he pompously came back in the room, said he knew it would happen and only took the lens out to prove it to me. A big “I told ya so”… except that he hadn’t actually told me it would be that miserable! Or I wouldn’t have let him take the lens out in the first place! The pain was so bad that I couldn’t open either of my eyes by that point and the surgeon plus another doc couldn’t pry my eyelids open enough to put the lens back in, so he just sent me home with ointment and painkillers. It was a rough couple days after that before things started to improve. There have been a few other issues with him all kind of similar to that which I won’t bore you with, but needless to say I’m not impressed. Happily my eye seems to be healing fine in spite of the lack of post surgery care. It’s still red and somewhat scratchy (one suture refuses to fall out!) and if I can get one of my docs to put me on prednisone to shrink the mass that is still behind my eye, things will get a good deal better!
I also saw my neurologist and have had my diagnosis of MS confirmed based on my most recent MRI showing a new and active brain lesion. So they’re planning to start me on medication this summer. I’ve been weighing the pros and cons of meds, and trying not to freak out about the cost! Fingers crossed that most of it will be covered by insurance somehow!
On the farm front, we’ve been working non-stop on projects! It’s really paying off! Our place is looking fantastic :) Sometimes I have to just remind myself to look up! look around! and soak it all in! We are so fortunate and enjoy such a great lifestyle even if it is a ton of work. We love our home and all the chaos that goes with it :)
Things that have been accomplished in the last few weeks:
- Dug up, and planted a veggie garden. Put in the posts to fence it off and are getting started with the planks/wire for it now. I love it! Can’t wait to see what grows! There’s something about putting in a few seeds and growing food that I’m always excited about!
- Built a fence along our driveway so we can graze the ponies out there. We have a ton of grass that we’d rather not mow, and 5 always-hungry ponies so it makes sense! K built a gate for the end of the driveway, and used Sherman (tractor…. yes it has a name… I should do a post about the naming of our vehicles one day!) to drill post holes so I could put up the line between us and the neighbor. It’s very nearly ready to use so that’s great progress!
- my Mom was here for a visit (not much of a vacation for her I’m afraid!) and it was whirlwind of house projects. We did a bunch of gardening, tackled the insane mess that was the basement (I’m not exaggerating! We literally were using the whole basement as a pit to store the million boxes we had from moving in plus all sorts of other misc stuff we hadn’t figured out what to do with yet. It was hard to navigate through it all) and managed to not only clear out the clutter, but set up some space for storing tack/horse supplies, and found the only developed room down there to start setting up the home gym. We even got a good start on putting together the horrible machine (my weight machine has a nickname…:) ), and if that wasn’t enough we also finally finished painting the kitchen! Bye bye red and hello yellow! It looks so much bigger and brighter now!
- We did get the seed out on the pastures and I’ve been keeping an eye on the results. It’s alive!!! but still very short. We may need to get a soil sample tested and see about fertilizer, but I’m not unhappy with how it’s growing. The new grass/alfalfa is still too tender to let the horses out there yet so they’re still mostly eating hay with some short turnout on sacrificed grass areas like the riding ring (we’re gonna dig that up soon anyway), plus they get to eat the stuff growing in the other paddocks they’re not usually in, and like I said, the grass along the driveway will be ready to use too!
- We’ve had a few different people out to talk about the arena project and I’m feeling optimistic that we have someone lined up who will do a good job at a reasonable price. Just waiting to hammer out the details now. I did get a chance to ride the other day since things have dried up and will keep making use of the grass ring until then. It’s not horrible as long as I only walk/trot on it. I can get a lot of groundwork and light training done which considering the herd hasn’t done much for a year, is all they really need right now anyway.
- We converted the old rabbit cage that was left here by the previous owners into a bird coop… it’s not fancy but I think it’ll work! Watch this space to see what I end up bringing home to put in it :)
Oh, and did I mention I also got a job?! I’m officially employed again! I’ll be working as a clerk in the health region. Much like my old job. I’m very much looking forward to it! I start in a couple weeks and will just be working casually so it’ll fit well with my schoolwork. I’m also starting my summer university course next week. I’m sure glad I had a month off school to get all this other stuff under control! It’s just flown by!
Pictures from around our pretty little farm for your viewing enjoyment!
Side garden. We had to put up flagging tape to keep the dogs off the new grass seed, but it’s looking good!
Our pretty home!
Veggie garden in progress
This is blurry but I still like it!
Miss Mya. Such a beauty!
Feeling so blessed!
Cricket enjoying a nibble
All 3 mutts
Maddie is a pro at this picture-taking thing!
From the deck
and the red barn of course!
I’m obsessed with the hummingbirds! This little one is here all the time!
Pretty fancy male!